Thursday, December 22, 2011

A great idea for Dad!

Let's face it. Dads can be hard to buy for. I'm no different. We often have this bad habit of buying for ourselves the things we really want.
But sometimes there are things we don't even know we want. And what a pleasant surprise when our children discover those things, and that becomes the gift.

Here is a great example. My college aged daughters came across this small book called "My Dad. His Stories. His Words." The book is full of questions, and I'm expected to answer the questions, and then gift the book back to the girls. What a great way for a Dad to tell his children the things he would like to tell them, if only they would ask. This book is a giant ask.

The questions include:
  • "When you were a kid, what was your favorite holiday, and how did your family celebrate it"?
  • "What's the best thing your Dad and/or Mom taught you?"
  • "What are the two things you didn't tell your parents about?"
There are easy questions about things like your friends growing up, your first job and your first car.
But there are also more thought provoking questions about life lessons, who taught them to me, and what it felt like when I was first a Dad.

Recent articles have said there is a growing trend toward gifts that provide memories and experiences rather than gifts that are just mere possessions.

Filling in the answers to this book will provide a memorable experience for me, and hopefully something meaningful when I return it to my daughters with all the answers.

They are already asking "Who will get to keep the book?"

Knowing that they want to know the answers is, in itself, a gift. And I could never get this kind of joy from another sweater.

I can't wait to start filling in the answers.

(By the way, my daughter found it in a gift shop during a trip to Chicago. But she later discovered they carry it at a gift store called Frencesca's right here in Little Rock, just in case you want to surprise your Dad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment